Most people can probably tell you some story or another about how much they hated brussels sprouts when they were kids, and were forced to eat them. I don’t have that story, I don’t ever remember it being a part of any of our dinners growing up. I am pretty sure I had never even tried a brussels sprout before last year. What was I waiting for, I actually really love brussels! I love them roasted, or shredded in a salad. My favorite way to cook them is with bacon and wine. Bacon and wine make so many things a little more delicious.
This week I wanted to try something a little different. I was looking for a light side dish to accompany a grilled pork tenderloin. This brussels sprouts slaw turned out to be a quick and easy side dish that I threw together in less than 20 minutes.
- 3 cups shredded brussels sprouts
- 2 large carrots shredded
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 Tbsp mayo
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp chopped almonds
- In a small bowl whisk together the mayo, mustard, and honey to make the dressing
- In a large skillet fry bacon until crispy
- To the same skillet, add in brussels and carrots and cook until they start to soften, 3-5 minutes depending on how done you like your veggies. I like mine to keep a little crunch.
- Remove from heat and stir in dressing
- Top with chopped or slivered almonds and serve!
If you are looking to save time, Trader Joes sells bags of already shredded brussels that are just enough for this recipe.
What’s your favorite way to eat brussels sprouts?