So if you haven’t heard, it snowed in Atlanta, and we are now in a state of emergency. A couple of inches of snow have caused quite a bit of chaos around these parts. People were stuck in their cars, sleeping at Home Depot, kids were spending the night at school. Thankfully we didn’t have a need to leave the house yesterday, and spent a lovely snowy day at home.
The first signs of snow yesterday brought me pure joy!
The hot chocolate is rich and creamy, not like that packaged and watered down mix. It’s super simple too. In a small sauce pan whisk together 1 cup of almond milk (or coconut/soy/regular whatever milk you like), 2 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 tbsp maple syrup, 1/4 tsp of vanilla, and a dash or two of cinnamon. Heat over medium low heat until is starts to simmer a bit. Split between two cups, or drink it all yourself, whatever you like, I am not the boss of you 😉
The cookies were adapted from this recipe, by Oatmeal with a Fork, and they stand up to their name. I tweaked it a bit to fit the ingredients I had on hand. We’re in a state of emergency, I am not leaving the house…plus that would require pants, and I declare it no pants snow day!
- 1 c almond meal or (I used flour I had from my last batch of almond milk)*see note
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup, or honey
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 4 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350, and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper, or grease with coconut oil.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the almond meal/flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl combine the almond butter, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop by the tablespoon full onto prepared cookie sheet, I got 12 cookies out of the batter.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown on the edges.
- Remove from oven.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes to cool, and set.
- Try not to eat them all in one sitting!